Student Visa


This visa is suitable for those who would like to study in Australia for longer than 12 weeks on a temporary basis.

With this visa you can:

  • Participate in a course to study in Australia
  • Stay in Australia for the duration of your course (plus holidays if applicable)
  • Travel in and out of Australia as many times as you want
  • Bring eligible family members to stay with you while you study in Australia
  • Work in Australia (with limited permission)
  • Apply for a different temporary or permanent residency visa (if eligible)

To be eligible for Student Visa you must:

  • Be enrolled in an eligible course and have a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) – (don’t worry, we’ll organize this for you)
  • Have an maintain an Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the whole duration of your stay in Australia (with some exemption categories) (don’t worry, we’ll organize this for you)
  • Have enough money to pay for your stay in Australia and have access to funds
  • Be a genuine temporary entrant and intend to return to your home country at the end of your studies
  • Be of good health and character and meet the Australia’s requirements
  • Respect the Australian way of life and obey to Australian laws

Further Information:

  • If you would like to continue studying in Australia, you must apply for a new Student Visa
  • You can apply for this visa from inside (onshore) or outside (offshore) of Australia
  • You and any dependent must meet all visa conditions

Cost (effective on Dec 2021)

  • Student Visa: AUD$ 630.00
  • Additional applicant over 18yo: AUD$ 470.00 (per applicant)
  • Additional applicant under 18yo: AUD$ 155.00 (per applicant)
  • In certain cases a Subsequent Temporary Application Charge may apply to a Student Visa. This charged is payable by each person in your application and is based on their individual visa history. Please consult us if you want to know whether this charge is applicable for you.
  • Payment via credit or debit card will include surcharges.

Eligibility and criteria

The Department of Home Affairs will consider a few things when you apply for your visa, such as (but not limited to): your migration history to Australia and other countries, your age, your genuine intentions to study in Australia, your ties to your home country and your financial capacity.

Academic requirements: the evidence you need to provide will depend on the level of course you want to study.

  • Vocational education and training (VET): it will depend on the provider, however we generally suggest you to provide evidence of your highest level of education achieved, this can be high school, university, undergraduate courses, etc.
  • Higher education – undergraduate courses (bachelorl degree): you will need to have completed high school and provide evidence of this (note all documents in other languages must be translated to English). Some courses might require some specific subjects as prerequisite.
  • Higher education – postgraduate course (Masters, PhD and post graduate degree): you must have completed at least one bachelor degree in a relevant area of study.

Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement: to meet his requirement you must write a statement showing:

  • That you are genuinely traveling to Australia to study
  • That you will only be residing in Australia on a temporary basis
  • AWI has a guide to help you write this statement. You should include details on your ties to home country and the value of the course to your future career and/or academic goals.
  • Proof your financial capacity: you must have enough money to cover your costs and expenses during your stay, such as travel, course fees, accommodation, living costs, etc. The financial capacity will depend on how long you will stay in Australia.
    • 12 month living costs are:
      • For students – AUD$21,041.00
      • For partner coming with you – AUD$7,362.00
      • For each child coming with you – AUD$3,152.00
    • You can prove by providing your bank statement
    • You can prove by supplying proof of your parents’ or other close family member (siblings, grandparents, etc) bank statement, followed by a letter signed by who will provide you financial support and their identity document.
    • You can prove showing your parents’ annual income showing AUD$62,222.00 in the year immediately before you apply.
  • Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
  • Health Requirement
  • Character requirement

Our intent is to provide you only with a general overview information of these visa subclasses and/or any other migration matter. This information may not be up to date with migration regulations and legislations as migration law is very dynamic. If you intend to apply for this visa, we strongly recommend you schedule a migration consultation to discuss any applicable factors under your specific circumstances.